Yes, It is not you, It is me!
What is infertility?
- An ability of a couple to conceive despite a year of regular, unprotected intercourse could be classified as infertility. 15% of couples don’t conceive at the end of 1 year and may require an evaluation.
- But if the couple believes that they will need to be assessed earlier because of known previous cause or medical history of spouses, one can seek consultation earlier.
In what percent is your male spouse responsible?
- 30 percent are infertile solely as a result of the male factor and another 20% as a result of combined female and male things.
What causes male infertility?
The issue can lie anywhere from semen production to semen deposition in the vagina. They can be divided into three categories:
- Issues with erection or ejaculation,
- Obstruction anywhere in the course of sperm traveling
- Defects in sperm production.
Issues with erection, ejaculation or intercourse, though not regular, form a significant cause of a couple’s infertility. And the only way to get a Best Fertility Doctor in Delhi to understand this is through an interview with the few. If you don’t come out with this issue, the physician will not know it and ends up getting the series of tests done.
Sometimes, the cause or defective sperm production may be due to environmental conditions; hormonal disturbance,; smoking; Liver or kidney insufficiency, or even localized conditions like varicocele, testicular injury. But in over half of the cases the cause remains unknown.
How can one ascertain that infertility is due to the male spouse?
- By obtaining an entire past medical, surgical and reproductive history, with a complete physical examination and with a sperm analysis, one would understand grossly if the male partner is responsible for infertility. If semen testing is shown to be abnormal, additional tests like hormonal evaluations, ultrasound analysis, testicular biopsy or blood tests may be required.
Is semen deficiency correctable?
- Semen deficiencies could be corrected only if the cause gets diagnosed. Medicines may be used to fix conditions like deficiency of pituitary hormone production (hypogonadotropic hypogonadism) or infections of the genital and urinary tract. Surgical correction may be done to get some kinds of blocks in the course of semen traveling and varicocele or hydrocele. However, semen flaws are irreversible and empirical therapy administered with medication to improve sperm quality is ineffective.
What steps can be undertaken to boost fertility for both couples with near normal or slightly deficient sperm?
- Reassurance and timed intercourse is the first phase if the female partner is not having any abnormality. But if the couple is worried and needs therapy, 4 to 6 cycles of IUI is the best option.
What steps can be undertaken to boost fertility for couples with deficient semen?
- Steps to seek the possible cause of fertility could be taken if no cause was discovered. In guys with sub-normal semen regarded as a concentration of <20 million/ml or a motility of less than 50 percent. IUI of the wife with processed and focused spouse’s sperm is useful especially if no trigger for decreased fertility was discovered in the female partner.
- Empirical therapy with testosterone, clomiphene, bromocriptine, antibiotics, pentoxifylline, Vit C, E, Zinc and other antioxidants can be tried with minimal improvement if any. Consuming testosterone for prolonged periods may depress semen production. Taking these medicines on prescription is important.
What could be done if there are no sperm in the semen?
- Azoospermia is defined when two semen samples collected on two different occasions are proven to be devoid of the sperm. In this case, if no sperm is found after centrifuging the semen sample surgical retrieval of sperm in the testis by techniques like TESA, PESA or TESE. Such retrieved sperm can be successfully used for conception by IVF ICSI. They can’t be used for processes like IUI due to their paucity.
- But if no sperm is located in the testes or so the few can’t afford IVF-ICSI (which is a high-cost procedure) subsequently donor semen may be used to artificially inseminate the wife for achieving a pregnancy.
What is PESA, TESA, TESE?
- PESA, TESA, TESE are acronyms for sperm retrieval techniques from the testes with the help of a needle. This is done when no sperm are found in the semen. They are usually done under local anesthesia and do not require admission. Mostly no cuts or stitches are incurred on the skin.
Is there a possibility of any genetic abnormality in the child with the use of testicular sperms?
- In 10-15 percent of men with azoospermia or oligozoospermia, the male offspring resulting from using testicular sperm can inherit the same semen flaw as his dad. However, besides that, children born from IVF-ICSI are not different from children born.
- Genetic counseling and evaluations are available in IVF GangaRam Hospital, for detection of abnormalities such as a congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferens deletion.
What to do when one cannot produce a semen sample before IUI or during IVF ?
- You need not be disheartened. If the semen was going to be used for IUI, and could not be produced, there is the option of natural intercourse for conception. Remember you are not infertile, only sub fertile. IUI was only going to improve the chance of pregnancy slightly above what you had naturally.
- If semen could not be produced on the day of IVF, then there is the option of using drugs like Viagra to facilitate in easy ejaculation. If that does not help a PESA or TESA can also be done. If you wish to avoid the situation and feel that giving semen on the day of IUI or IVF may be a problem, you could have semen preserved in the IVF laboratory, a few days prior to the IVF procedure, when you are most likely to be stress-free.
What do I do to ensure good reproductive health?
- Keeping weight in the healthy range for your height is a fantastic start-up measure.
- Smoking and tobacco consumption in any kind influences semen quality and have to be given up or reduced.
- Consumption of 30-60 ml of alcohol every day may not influence male reproductive health, but larger quantities might interfere with libido, and chronic use can additionally hamper liver function.
- If one is really on medicines for high blood pressure, diabetes or neurological conditions which decrease fertility potential then one wants to consult with the physician to alter them
- Wearing loose cotton undergarments and cold bathrooms are proven to maintain decent semen production.
- Eating foods rich in anti-oxidants like green leafy vegetables, nuts, and fruits may maintain fertility better.
- Utilization of laptops and mobile phones for extended periods might lower sperm counts and motility.
What are the instructions for semen collection?
Please read all the instructions carefully before collecting a semen sample to ensure a proper and sterile collection.
- Abstain from ejaculation for a period of 2-5 days prior to the day of semen collection. Please do not have a gap of more than 5 days before semen collection, as it may affect the semen quality.
- For men with low sperms count, it is preferable to have an abstinence of fewer than 2 days. In the case of a very low count, it may be necessary to give a second sample on the day of semen collection in order to yield a better quality sample.
- The semen specimen must be obtained through masturbation only. Do not use any lubricants or oils or oral stimulation during collection. Wash and dry hands and penis thoroughly before semen collection.
- Please do not touch the insides of the lid or the container while collection, as it may contaminate the sample with bacteria. Once the sample is collected carefully close lid. If there is any spillage while collection, please report it to the staff and do not try to transfer the spilled semen manually into the cup. Also please do not mix water or any other substance in the semen.
- In case the sample is being collected at a place outside the IVF Gangaram Laboratory, it must be transported to the centre within one hour of collection. Keep the sample close to body temperature to protect it from extremes of temperature. Please DO NOT transport the sample in an ice box or while keeping the sample container in front of the car A.C.
- In case of any anticipated difficulty in collection of semen, please get in touch with the embryologist to discuss the possibility of freezing a semen sample before hand as back up.